1. 75% of the TXDot funds spent in Collin County since 2007 were toll generated. See the chart at http://www.keithself.com/gallery/ . The red figures are all toll generated. This tells us that we are already being tolled to support most of the massive projects that you see every day.
The current projects will be complete by 2018; the tolls will continue into the next generation to pay for these projects. This may be the best reason we have to support our legislators as they work to find state transportation funding. If they don’t, that percentage may go up in the future.
2. Monday we start Commissioners Court interviews for appointment to Constable, Precinct 2 at 9 AM. During the afternoon session, we will make that appointment and have a major discussion on new District and County Courts at Law courts.
Based on what we hear from attorneys, I suspect that our discussion will hinge on how to hear civil and family cases faster in specialized dockets. Those cases are heard after criminal cases in general jurisdiction courts.
3. The Dallas Chapter of the Military Order of World Wars (MOWW) will present the Silver Patrick Henry Medallion, a prestigious national award, to Colin Kimball in the courthouse on Monday at 11 AM. The announcement is at http://www.keithself.com/gallery/ . Please join us to honor the artist who paints the portraits of fallen warriors that hang in your courthouse.
4. This is Right to Life weekend. I appreciate you who stand with those who as yet have no voice of their own. How grateful I am for sonogram technology that changed the way our nation sees the unborn; the heartbeat, the movement, the yawns, the little fists.
5. Former Texas Comptroller Susan Combs, known for her efforts to increase government transparency, has started a web site to encourage the policies that led to Texas success. Check it out at http://lonestarsuccess.com/